Map of Vietnam

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 2 & 3

OK, I'm running on about 1/3 of my normal sleep. I am mean and cranky and it's way, way hot. For some reason, someone decided on our second day here that our room was inadequate. We really don't think so. In fact, we love the size: very large, with 2 queen sized beds, both memory foam. Plenty of space to not be over the top of each other getting ready in the morning. I guess they thought the bathroom was too small, but we'd already worked out a total turn-taking schedule and hung this fabulous thing that my mom found at Eddie Bauer for me on the outside of the bathroom door. We figued out that if I shower first, Anthony can use all the hot water he wants while I get ready in the room, and then I can just turn my back on him when he gets dressed, or I can go back in and brush my teeth. It works so well. And, did I tell you that we have a balcony? Oh! it's wonderful! We're on the 3rd floor and we can see the park, which comes ALIVE at 5:00. They're my alarm clock (and damn lucky, all of them, that I have to get up at that time anyway in order to get ready for work.) Anyway, so far I've beaten them all up by waking up some time between 2 and 3.
I kid you not, it is an absolutely hysterical cacophony of sound at precisely 5:00 am. The aerobics people are listening to Euro disco, the TaiChi people are listening to a Vietnamese version of Karen Carpenter, and then there's some other music thrown in for good measure with the exercisers in the middle. There are also people playing badmitton, walking, riding bikes, etc.
Then, at about 5:40, it's completely quiet again.
Anyway, on the 2nd day, they had us pack up and move to another hotel down the street, but we were so miserable in 20 minutes that I begged to be moved back. I was actually near tears, mostly because I'd only had about 2 hours sleep after a 20 hour plane ride. We didn't even unpack. The room was across from the hotel desk, next to the lobby, with construction going on on the other side of the wall. We were so happy to get back to our "real" room! Hooray!

They've tried to convince us to leave this hotel, but we're Americans, so it's all about location, location, location. We can walk to the school in 5 minutes without crossing any streets!! If you have ever seen video of VN traffic, you have a clear idea what that means to us. Plus, the people running the hotel are really nice to us (except for a towel issue that I will try to explain later--ha ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment